21 February 2018

Ask the Technical Team March 2018

Feature technical | PPC90 March 2018

Being the leading association for pest management in the UK means that you get a lot of professional pest control questions piling up in your inbox.

When you’re a BPCA member you can get technical support whenever you need it via our experienced technical team. We’ve rounded up a couple of the best questions we’ve had in the last few months, so everyone can benefit from the advice.

BPCA inbox


What should I do with out-of-date products?

Natalie-Bungay-Staff-BubbleNATALIE REPLIES: As with most queries concerning pesticides, it is always best to speak to your product supplier as they will have the most up-to-date information on products and disposal needs.

However, there should be no issues or extra procedures for disposing of these products but you must ensure that they are labelled as waste while you are awaiting disposal and quarantined so that no-one accidentally uses the product.


When should CoSHH assessments be done?

Dee-ward-thompson-Staff-BubbleDEE REPLIES: Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (CoSHH) assessments should be done for all products.

Existing pesticides in your stock should already have an associated CoSHH assessment, and this must be reviewed if anything changes ie. the label conditions and also at regular intervals – annually is a good target. When you purchase a new pesticide you should first complete your CoSHH assessment before releasing it to your technicians.

CoSHH assessments must be shared with the users of the products to ensure understanding of any necessary safety precautions, etc.


Should break back traps be checked daily?

Dee-ward-thompson-Staff-BubbleDEE REPLIES: A careful and considered documented risk assessment should be carried out in areas where the risk posed by rodents to public health is sufficient to merit the use of permanently sited trapping boxes.

The frequency of trap checking should be in line with the site visit frequency risk assessment and the risk associated (if any) to non-target pests. There is no legislation for break back traps (rats and mice) that states a specific check frequency, unlike spring traps which should be checked every 12 hours. See BPCA Code of Best Practice for Break Back Traps.


Do you have to be qualified to control foxes?

Natalie-Bungay-Staff-BubbleNATALIE REPLIES: Is there a specific qualification? No. However, you do need to be competent in all aspects of fox control.

You need to know relevant legislation such as the Animal Welfare Act 2006, have experience using the chosen control method (be it shooting, live trapping or habitat management), and ensure discretion. Be aware that fox control can be an emotive subject for the public which could draw unwanted attention.


What’s EN 16636 all about?

Natalie-Bungay-Staff-BubbleNATALIE REPLIES: In March 2015, the European quality standard for pest management services was released. The standard, EN 16636, developed by The Confederation of European Pest Management Associations (CEPA) specifies the requirements for the provision of the effective and economical reduction of damage caused by pests with an aim to protect public health, property and the environment.

In short, if you can pass an audit to EN 16636 then you’re top of the class regarding professionalism, safety, quality and excellent customer-focused service. In January 2016, BPCA began to audit all Servicing Members to this European Standard. As of 2019, it’ll be membership criteria that Servicing Members must have passed their audits and closed down any non-conformities.

Visit our CEPA FAQ


Get in touch...

Contact us

< Contents Next article >
Back to news